We are looking for a translator to join our team. If language is your passion, then this is the position for you! As a translator, your main objective will be to interpret written and audio English and French works making sure to maintain their original meaning, format and tone.
Translator responsibilities include reading and thoroughly understanding the context of given material for translation, using specialized dictionaries and translation tools and proofreading finished pieces of work. To be successful in this role, you should have a keen eye for detail and be fluent in your native language. You will provide ready-to-use translated content that meets our internal needs and helps us reach a broader audience.
- Convert text and audio recordings from English to French and vice versa.
- Ensure translated content conveys the original meaning and tone.
- Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check translation quality.
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy.
- Follow up with committee members to ensure translation meets their needs.
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format.
- Stay current on new translation tools and practices.
- Experience as a Translator, Interpreter or similar role;
- Fluency in your native language (English or French);
- Fluency in other languages is an asset;
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling and punctuation errors;
- Mastery of French grammar, spelling and usage including the ability to craft culturally-sensitive texts;
- Good knowledge of content editing tools;
- Familiarity with translation software;
- Strong time-management skills;
- Degree in Translation, Interpreting or a similar field is an asset; and
- Additional certification(s) in Linguistics is an asset.
- Part-time (6-8 hours/month)
- As needed basis
- Attend one monthly All-Committee Meeting (Sunday afternoon)
- Director of Communications
- Works collectively with the Lead Council as needed, as well as the other Communications Committee members.
We thank all candidates who apply, however, only those selected for a personal interview will be contacted. Candidates may be subject to background inquiries which are satisfactory and in accordance with internal procedures.